|“||Families are very complicated things, Hanna. Many families have secrets. Most families, really. And sometimes, those secrets are actual people. Imagine that.||”|
|Season 7, Episode 2|
|Air Date||June 28, 2016|
|Written by||Joseph Dougherty|
|Directed by||Tawnia McKiernan|
The Talented Mr. Rollins
With the fallout of Hanna’s abduction still weighing heavily on the PLLs, the Liars begin to grow suspicious of Elliott Rollins as Ali’s condition worsens. Tensions rise between Liam, Aria and Ezra as they work on the book together. Spencer and Caleb are on edge, as neither of them want to talk about the awkward elephant in the room. Meanwhile, Emily receives a disturbing phone call and tries to find a way to see Ali, but isn't allowed to by Elliott and must turn to one potential enemy.
Mary drives an abused Hanna home, while commenting on secrets and disturbing families. Mary tells Hanna that some families hide secrets, and also that sometimes these secrets are actually people. Hanna asks Mary if she's one of the secret people, and she answers "not anymore".
Later, when Hanna is already safe, Caleb and Aria ask her if she really doesn't want to go to a doctor, as she says that the doctors would make questions, claiming that she wouldn't want to answers them. Spencer and Emily reveal to Hanna everything about Mary, confirming that she was a patient at Radley Sanitarium, and is Jessica DiLaurentis' twin sister. Hanna then concludes that Mary is “Uber A”.
Following, Hanna questions herself why Mary didn't chased her — instead she left her safe and sound, and Ezra says that they gave her Charlotte's murderer. Caleb and Aria reveal that they suspected of Alison, and Hanna asks Spencer for something more powerful than coffee. While Spencer is looking for something, Caleb approaches Hanna and hands her the ring that symbolizes her engagement with Jordan. Someones knocks at the door and Ezra goes to see who is it. He finds a jar of flowers with a message from “A.D”.
In Lucas's apartment, Hanna, Emily, Spencer and Caleb go in, and Caleb hands Hanna a package which Lucas delivered. Emily tries to help Hanna, but she answers in a rough way, and Emily calls Spencer for a talk. Caleb again tries a conversation with Hanna, but she avoids him, although they do talk about their kiss in the previous days. Emily realizes that Spencer is missing and goes out for looking for her. She finds her outside the apartment and they argue if Alison is safe inside the psychiatric hospital. The two then agree that Hanna has the same look she previously had, while she and the others were trapped inside A's Dollhouse.
Caleb and Spencer, in sequence, discuss about Hanna, while Spencer is still working on the paperwork of her mother's campaign. Meanwhile, Emily receives a disturbing call from Alison, who is begging for help as a nurse tries to remove the cellphone from her hands. At the Welby State, Emily tries to visit Alison, but a nurse confirms that only family members can see her, and, following, Elliott repeated that Alison's conditions aren't the bests and rapidly avoid his conversation with Emily, leaving her unresigned.
At the Radley Hotel, Hanna and Lucas talk about the opportunity that Lucas gave her of opening her very own fashion business. She then snapped that she's not the wonderful person that everyone think that she is, and Lucas encourages her. Following, Emily tells Spencer that Alison sounded frightened, and Emily urges the possibility of using Mary to visit Alison, since Mary's family. However, Spencer declines the idea.
At the Montgomery family house, Aria and Liam discuss about the turbulent end of their relationship. Neither is happy with what happened, and, plus, Liam reveals that he's the editor of the book that was co-written between Aria and Ezra, putting more wood on the fire.
Back at the apartment, Hanna begins to wonder if she will sign Lucas' contract. She then flash backs the night when she and Jordan first met. A busy Hanna talks on the phone with somebody else, and, after ending the calling, she realizes that somebody put a drink on her napkin, which had an important number written on it. She then draws the man's attention, and he helps her on unveiling the number. The two then join each other for a dinner, and they pass all night long on the restaurant. Back in present, Hanna decides not the sign the contract.
Aria, Emily and Spencer go talk with Elliott in order to gain the opportunity to visit Alison, and he continues to deny it. While Elliott is talking with someone on the phone, the girls receive a new message from “A.D.” and they realize that the stalker maybe is not so far as they think. Hanna is then shown inside Jordan's office, and she invites him to have a drink on the same bar they were on the night they first met. Once again, Emily and Spencer argue about using Mary as a way to visit Alison.
Aria and Ezra are talking about Elliott and their book. After, they hold the each other hands, and then is shown Liam, that is inside his car, watching. Following, Liam and Ezra and arguing about the book, and Liam constantly tries to decrease Ezra's writing. However, Ezra stay calm and forget about anything.
In Veronica's campaign office, Spencer is talking with someone on the phone, and Mary shows up. Initially, Mary says that she was waiting to know how Hanna is. The two then discuss Mary's attitude of not leading Hanna to the hospital or to the police. Mary then says that her experiences with hospitals and with the police weren't great, and, in sequence, Mary tells Spencer the reason why she was committed to Radley, many years ago. Mary reports that her twin-sister, Jessica, and her were 14-years-old, and Jessica was babysitting a boy. Jessica telephoned Mary, claiming that the baby didn't stop crying; but, when Mary arrived at the house, the baby was quiet anyway. Jessica then asked Mary to stay home while she was talking to a boyfriend. When the baby's parents arrived at the house, they found the baby drowned in the bathtub, and Jessica threw the blame on Mary, even with her being innocent. In the next scene, Ezra reveals Liam's bad behavior to Aria, and she gets scared.
In New York City, Hanna and Jordan arrives at a closed Columbus bar — the local were they first met. Hanna gets angry, and ends up that she ends their engagement. At the Radley Hotel, Mary shows up and starts remembering the old Radley Sanitarium. Emily helps her and they deal to visit Alison together. Lucas and Hanna then speak about the contract for a fashion business, and, with the end of her engagement, Hanna ends up signing the contract. Aria and Liam discuss about Ezra and the book, and Liam says that Aria was abused by his teacher while in the high school, and Aria denies it.
At the psychiatric hospital, Alison wakes up and sees Emily. Alison claims for Emily's help, stating that Elliott is a bad person, and Alison sees Mary and starts thinking that she is her mother, Jessica. However, Elliott enters the room and he kicks out everybody, including the nurse.
In the hallway, Elliott asks to talk with Mary; and, inside an office, Mary complains that she was calling Elliott for two days, without an answer and tells Elliott that he has gone too far. Elliott says that Mary should not appear in the hospital and tells her to leave him to his work. Emily, meanwhile, is watching their shadows through an unfocused window.
At the Hastings family loft-barn, Spencer reveals to Caleb that she was fired. Spencer asks Caleb if they made a mistake when they started a romantic relationship, and Caleb denies it. However, Spencer complains that he is using the verb in the past. Back at the hospital, Emily sends a text to the girls, asking what is happening between Mary and Elliott, since she saw their shadows during a "fight". The episode ends with Ali being drugged by someone and taken to somewhere else.
- Mary drives Hanna at Spencer's home.
- Emily starts to believe that Alison is in danger at Welby and doubt Elliott's good intentions, since Alison's mental state is quickly degrading.
- Giving the ring back, Hanna ends the engagement with Jordan Hobart and accepts starting a fashion business with Lucas Gottesman.
- It's revealed Elliott and Mary have different agendas and they argue about it.
- Aria ends her relationship with Liam.
Title and Background
- The title refers to Bethlem Royal Hospital, Europe's first and oldest institution to specialise in mental illnesses and origin of the word "bedlam".
- It refers to Welby State Psychiatric Hospital, as "bedlam" means chaos or madness, but it also applies to the Liars' current relationships.
- The title, "Bedlam" spells out Ed Lamb, and that spells out, "Blamed" as we learn Mary was blamed for the killing of 10 month old Teddy Carver, who her sister seemed to have killed.
- Troian Bellisario as Spencer Hastings
- Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin
- Lucy Hale as Aria Montgomery
- Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields
- Janel Parrish as Mona Vanderwaal (Credited only)
- Sasha Pieterse as Alison DiLaurentis
- Ian Harding as Ezra Fitz
- Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers
- Andrea Parker as Mary Drake
- Brendan Robinson as Lucas Gottesman
- Huw Collins as Elliott Rollins
- Roberto Aguire as Liam Greene
- David Coussins as Jordan Hobart
- Gwen Holloway as Nurse
- The table read for this episode occurred on April 14th, 2016.
- Filming for this episode began on April 19th, 2016, and wrapped on April 26th, 2016.
- The intro in this episode features Emily doing the 'Shhh'.
- "Six Feet Under" by Billie Eilish - (Caleb checks in on Spencer as she works on her mothers campaign finalization papers, he suggest that they gets some sleep then they discuss what happened to Hanna; Emily sleeps in Hanna bed).
- "Go Try" by WILSEN - (Hanna meets with Lucas, he asks after Alison then question her about accepting his offer).
- "No Sleep To Dream by Zella Day - (Flashback) Hanna works at a bar when Jordan accidentally knocks over her drinks, he flirts with her as helps recover lost information then offers to buy her dinner; Montage as they eat dinner).
- "Waving Wild" by Arum Rae - (Jordan goes into his office and sees Hanna sitting at his desk; She apologizes for not being a model fiancée and suggests they go to the bar where they first met).
- "Find Yourself Somebody Else" by Bosshouse Music - (Hanna and Jordan arrive at the bar but find out it's been torn down which upsets Hanna; and she takes off her engagement ring and gives it back to Jordan, then walks off).
- "Talking In Your Sleep" by Spencer Thomson - (Emily picks up a job application for the bar at Radley when she sees Mary, she introduces herself).
- "The Merry Widow, Act III: Duet. Love unspoken (The Merry Widow Waltz)" by The Sadler's Wells Opera Orchestra, Alexander Gibson, June Bronhill & Thomas Round - (In the last scene, a drugged Ali is wheeled away on a gurney into a bright light).
Bedlam has a photo gallery.