|“||Guys, if we just stay calm and stick to the plan, we'll be fine, okay? This is about containment and right now, everyone who knows about Rollins 'is sitting in this car.'||”|
|Hit and Run, Run, Run|
|Season 7, Episode 4|
|Air Date||July 12, 2016|
|Written by||Maya Goldsmith|
|Directed by||Michael Goi|
The Talented Mr. Rollins
Along Comes Mary
The PLLs desperately attempt to cover up their secret, and in turn, end up straining their relationships with their respective bed buddies by keeping them in the dark. While the aftermath of Haleb’s kiss weighs on Spaleb’s relationship, Spencer copes in ways she might later regret. Mona intervenes with the cover-up plan, for better or worse.
Frantic to cover their tracks, the Liars bury Elliott’s body in the woods. Aria urges the others to call the police but the group decides that the best course of action is to bury the body, hoping that it will appear that Elliott left town. Alison steals Elliott’s hospital keycard so the girls can sneak her back in Welby.
The girls begin to formulate a plan. Aria agrees to sneak Alison back into Welby while Spencer will hide Elliott’s phone and jacket in a train out of town. Realizing the potential repercussions of being the driver of the car when Elliott was hit, Hanna doubts the plan and panics that she will go to jail for homicide.
At the police station, Toby continues to dig into Elliott’s past, keeping it secret from Yvonne.
Meanwhile back at Spencer’s barn, Spencer frantically tries to clean up the dirt and mud the girls tracked in from the woods. Wishing to repair their strained friendship, Hanna asks Spencer if the two can move past her kiss with Caleb. At that moment, Caleb shows up at the door, wanting to talk about their fight over his kiss with Hanna. Not wanting him to see the state of the inside of the barn and ask questions, Spencer insists that he leaves, as Hanna hovers behind the door hidden. Caleb recalls a moment he and Spencer shared in the past, revealing the depth of his feelings for her. Heartbroken, Spencer is forced to turn him away to protect him from being involved in their crime.
At Welby, Aria and Alison break-in with Elliott’s keycard. While Aria is checking to make sure the coast is clear for Alison to return unseen to her room, Alison disappears.
At the Radley Hotel, Emily bartends while Spencer fills her in on the latest developments. She tells Emily that she used Elliott’s credit card to purchase a ticket on an outbound train and, once the train arrives in the station, she will leave his cell and jacket in the train. Meanwhile, Emily will pack up Elliott’s things in an overnight bag, making it look like he left town in a hurry. Spencer also confides to Emily that Hanna kissed Caleb.
Meanwhile at Welby, Aria searches for Alison, finding her huddled in a stairwell. Alison tells Aria that she can’t go back into the room. Aria promises that she and the other girls will come back and get Alison later. Agreeing to return to her room, Alison hesitates to allow Aria to strap her back down into the bed, fearing that she will be defenseless. Aria asks Alison outright if she was responsible for Charlotte’s death.
Alison confesses that she told Charlotte on the night of her death about her relationship with Elliott and that Charlotte stormed out. Alison followed Charlotte into the church. A flashback shows the two of them arguing in the bell tower. As Alison leaves she hears a noise in the tower, hesitates and then leaves. Aria assuages Alison’s guilt by telling her if she hadn’t left the church, she might be dead along with Charlotte. Before Aria leaves, Alison has her put the face mask back over her, so the nurses who check on her will see the extent of the torture Elliott put her through.
Back at the Radley bar, Spencer has a drink with a stranger.
Aria and Hanna go back to the scene to destroy the body and Aria tells Hanna that Alison wasn’t responsible for Charlotte’s murder. Once they arrive they realize that the car is missing.
Spencer continues chatting and drinking with the stranger at the bar, making out with him in the elevator before coming to her senses and leaving.
Back at the scene, Aria and Hanna frantically search for Lucas’s car. The tracks in the mud show that someone who knows what they did drove off in the car.
At Spencer’s barn, Emily arrives with Elliott’s bag just as Spencer calls her telling her that she is too drunk to carry out her part of the plan. As Aria and Hanna continue to search for the car, Mona shows up returning the car.
Mona tells Aria and Hanna that she started tracking Elliott after she became suspicious about Alison’s rapidly deteriorating condition. After putting a tracker on his car, she followed him out into the woods. Mona took the car to get the windshield of the car replaced. She surprises the others by asking where Elliott’s burner phone is.
Emily retrieves Spencer from Radley and confronts her about letting the others down. Spencer admits that she couldn’t handle the realization that the A nightmare had begun again and now, after Elliott’s death, the situation is worse than ever.
The girls and Mona have brunch the next day at Radley, where they discuss Elliott’s burner phone. Mona says she will try to ping the phone in order to locate it and discover with whom Elliott was working. Spencer continues to insist that the person on the other end of the phone was Mary Drake.
Suddenly, Jenna Marshall, appears in the lobby. Jenna, who is back in town for Toby’s engagement, approaches the girls and wastes no time in dropping hints that she knows what the girls have been up to. Hanna again unsuccessfully tries to repair her friendship with Spencer. Hanna advises Spencer to tell Caleb the truth about the events of the previous evening.
Jenna, who is back in town for Toby’s engagement, approaches the girls and dropps hints that she knows what the girls have been up to. Hanna again unsuccessfully tries to repair her friendship with Spencer. Hanna advises Spencer to tell Caleb the truth about the events of the previous evening.
Jenna goes to see Toby at the station, saying she wants to make amends. Meanwhile, Mona tells Hanna that she is unable to track the burner phone.
Hanna confesses her guilty feelings to Mona, admitting that she had time to stop the car but chose to run over Elliott because of what he did to her after the kidnapping. She also tells Mona about ending her engagement to Jordan. Hanna realizes that she lost her bracelet inside Elliott’s car, leaving a traceable link from his death straight to her.
Emily and Aria return to Welby to find Toby and other officers there. Toby demands that the girls come with him for questioning. Returning to the barn, Spencer finds that Caleb has left. Mary Drake visits Alison, telling her that she is the one in charge now. Meanwhile, Toby gathers the girls together and tells them that Elliott has been dead for 15 years: the real Dr. Rollins was 72 years old when he died of a stroke. The girls are stunned and now have no idea whose body is in the grave they dug.
Mona breaks into Elliott’s car and Hanna retrieves her bracelet. They find the burner phone inside ringing. Mona answers it and discovers Jenna on the other line.
- This episode marks Jenna's first appearance since "How the 'A' Stole Christmas".
- While Alison is watching them, the four girls bury Elliott Rollins's body, thinking the police won't believe their story and the accident will be considered first degree murder.
- Alison is sent back to Welby secured like Rollins treated her and is revealed to be the Red Sweater Blonde. She tells Aria she didn't kill Charlotte. In a flashback, Alison followed Charlotte to The Church and up the church tower, where the sisters argued over Alison and Elliott. Charlotte later told Alison to leave.
- Mona was also found to be tracking Elliott's car the night he was killed. She later took Hanna's car before she and Aria had the chance to burn it, and had the windshield and car remodeled. Mona later discovers Elliott's burner phone, which he used to communicate with his accomplice.
- She also discovers that Jenna is connected with Archer Dunhill, the real identity of Elliott Rollins.
- Toby tells the Liars that the real Elliott Rollins died in 2002 from a stroke at the age of 72; Archer was using him as a false alias.
- A new character, Marco Furey, is introduced. Rosewood’s newest detective, who’s brought in to handle open homicides, he is first seen introducing himself to Spencer, charming her as time passes. They later start to make out before Spencer stops it.
- Spencer discovers Caleb left.
Title and Background
- It refers to the hit-and-run that caused Elliott's death in the previous episode.
- Troian Bellisario as Spencer Hastings
- Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin
- Lucy Hale as Aria Montgomery
- Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields
- Janel Parrish as Mona Vanderwaal
- Sasha Pieterse as Alison DiLaurentis
- Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers
- Andrea Parker as Mary Drake
- Keegan Allen as Toby Cavanaugh
- Vanessa Ray as Charlotte DiLaurentis
- Nicholas Gonzalez as Marco Furey
- Tammin Sursok as Jenna Marshall
- David Bianchi as Bartender
- The table read for this episode occurred on May 4th, 2016.
- Filming for this episode began on May 6th, 2016 and wrapped on May 16th, 2016.
- The intro in this episode features Alison doing the 'Shhh'.
- The episode was watched by 1.26 million viewers.
- While Spencer and Emily are cleaning up evidence, Spencer mentions not getting the part of Lady Macbeth in a play. This might be an allusion to the 10th Pretty Little Liars book, Ruthless, where Spencer does play Lady Macbeth in the school play.
- "Borderline" by Tove Styrke - (While Emily tends the bar at The Radley she and Spencer discuss the plan to cover up Elliott's death as wait for Aria; Emily suggest to Spencer that her and Caleb's problem have nothing to do with Hanna)
- "Heatwave" by Wild Ones - (Spencer continues to drink at The Radley when a guy send a drink over to her as a compliment)
- "Shotgun 2 My Heart" by AYER - (Spencer is ready to leave when Marco introduces himself, tries to convinces her to stay for another drink which she does when she sees the surveillance camera and reconsiders)
- "Dive" by Jacq Becker - (Spencer and Marco continue to talk over drinks when Spencer notices the time and prepares to leave but before offering to pay for their drinks)
- "Kill of the Night" by Gin Wigmore - (Spencer and Marco make out in The Radley elevator and almost have sex when Spencer catches sight of herself in the mirror and calls everything to a halt)
- "Don't Look Back (feat. Ashe)" by Ben Phipps - (The girls have brunch at The Radley, they discuss covering up Elliott's death, his missing burner phone and finding his possible accomplice as they make sure they're seen on surveillance)
Jenna: Oh, didn't you hear? My house blew up.
Hit and Run, Run, Run has a photo gallery.