Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin is the upcoming third spinoff of the American teen drama series, Pretty Little Liars, and loosely based on the parent series, which in turn are based off the popular series of novels written by Sara Shepard.
"Twenty years ago, a series of tragic events almost ripped the blue-collar town of Millwood apart. Now, in the present day, a group of disparate teen girls — a brand-new set of Little Liars — finds themselves tormented by an unknown Assailant and made to pay for the secret sin their parents committed two decades ago, as well as their own. In the dark, coming-of-rage, horror-tinged drama Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin, we find ourselves miles away from Rosewood, but within the existing Pretty Little Liars universe — in a brand-new town, with a new generation of Little Liars."
- Chandler Kinney as Tabby Hayworth: An aspiring director and horror movie buff. Like the other Little Liars, Tabby’s hiding a secret.
- Maia Reficco as Noa Oliver: A striving, sardonic track star who’s working hard to get her life back to normal after a summer spent in juvenile detention.
- Bailee Madison as Imogen Abel: A true survivor. Imogen is a final girl. She will drive the mystery of uncovering “A” as she fights for her life and the lives of her friends.
- Zaria as Faran: A poised, disciplined ballerina with aspirations to make it out of Millwood. But ‘A’ isn’t the only villain in Faran’s life. In the world of ballet, it is death by a thousand micro-aggressions.
- Malia Pyles as Minnie Yin: The youngest of the Little Liars. Having survived a childhood trauma, Minnie spends most of her time in a virtual world, but she is more than capable of taking on the dark forces of Millwood — including ‘A'.
- Alex Aino as Shawn: Noa’s supportive boyfriend and one of the most popular jocks at Millwood High.
- Mallory Bechtel as Karen: Millwood High’s reigning queen of mean and an antagonist to the Little Liars.
- Eric Johnson as Sheriff Beasley: The domineering patriarch of the Beasley family.
- Main article: Season 1 (Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin)
- This show will not be a pure “reboot” of the original series, as it will exist within the same universe and will begin a new story with new characters not taken from Sara Shepard's novels.
- Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Calhoon Bring made a statement regarding the series saying, “We’re such huge fans of what I. Marlene King and her iconic cast created, we knew that we had to treat the original series as #canon and do something different. So we’re leaning into the suspense and horror in this reboot, which hopefully will honor what the fans loved about the hit series while weaving in new, unexpected elements.”
- Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa teased the series using the hashtag, "#whereisangelawaters" while promoting the series, seemingly confirming the continuation of a missing person in the PLL universe. Other tags used were #kissandkill and #comingofRAGE.
- Sarah Aubrey, head of original content at HBO Max said, “Roberto and Lindsay are expanding the Pretty Little Liars universe with more murder, mysteries, and scandal, and we can’t wait."
- PLL showrunner I. Marlene King will not be involved in the production, given she left Warner Bros. for 20th Century Fox in 2019. Due to her departure, she is not legally or contractually entitled to assume a role within the making of the series.
- This is the second PLL spinoff or PLL-related television product to not be based directly off a Sara Shepard book, after 2014's Ravenswood.
- Chandler Kinney and Maia Reficco were announced as the first two leads on July 3rd, 2021, after almost a year of silence regarding the show. Production was also announced to commence later that summer at Upriver Studios in New York.
- On July 27th, 2021, Bailee Madison was cast as Imogen, a character described as a "true survivor" and "final girl".
- On August 18th, Zaria and Malia Pyles were announced as the last two Little Liars, Faran and Minnie, rounding out the main quintet.
- On August 31st, 2021, Alex Aiono, Mallory Bechtel and Eric Johnson were the last of the main cast to be announced, with each playing Shawn, Karen, and Sheriff Beasley.
- The next day on September 1st, 2021, the first five recurring members were announced.
- On August 10th, 2021, pre-production was confirmed to have began with the three aforementioned leads pictured, and the rest of the cast yet to be revealed but otherwise brought in. August 23rd was revealed to be the first day of filming.
Behind the Scenes